Please read and share
FAMILY, FRIENDS, CLIENTS, & DOGS!! Here's your friendly reminder that Fourth of July is a week from today! Please prepare yourself with whatever will help keep your dog calm during the fireworks and festivities. In our house, we use GNC's calming mini bones, leave the TV on and windows closed. A few tips for you to follow:
1. Be extra cautious when opening doors, as this is the most common day for dogs to escape and go missing!!! I'd also recommend leaving a collar on with correct tags just in case.
2. If your pet is microchipped, double check the info on their chip is YOURS and CORRECT. If your pet isn't microchipped, GET THEM CHIPPED and make sure to register your information! Vet clinics take place every weekend, utilize them, or call a vet!
3. Don't take your dog to the fireworks display! Even if they are generally okay with fireworks, exposing them that closely to it can still make them nervous/anxious because they are so loud. It's best to leave them at home, safely in the house.
4. Leave the TV or music on for your dog! It will help disguise the sound of fireworks and create ambient noise so they can relax.
5. Try store-bought calming solutions, and give them before the fireworks begin! Melatonin, lavender and chamomile are natural solutions to help settle your dog, and most pet stores have a section for calming solutions. Get them now! Test them out! Any of the ones listed below are worth a try.*
6. If your dog has a severe noise anxiety, contact your vet and see if there is any prescription anxiety medication they can give you to help settle your dog. Same rules apply: get it now, test it out beforehand!
***If you will be home with your dog, IT IS OKAY GIVE THEM TREATS AND/OR FOOD! Pet them, sit near them. They feel safe with you, don't take that away from them.***
*If you need recommendations for calming solutions, a few things I know people use: NaturVet's Quiet Moments melatonin treats, Richard's Organics Pet Calm (liquid drops), Thundershirts (do help, but should be fitted properly and used prior to a stressful situation), and, GNC's calming mini bones (they make their treats in both chicken and beef).
IF YOUR DOG GETS OUT, post in any and all local groups on Facebook!!! Include the area you're located (a cross street and town), if your dog is chipped/has a collar on, and your contact information! If this does happen, please let me know, I'd be happy to share the posts and get the word out to help find your missing pup.
PLEASE BE CONSCIOUS OF YOUR DOG'S BEHAVIOR, and do what is best for them, and have a safe and fun Fourth of July!!