Here are the top 10 things to think about when it comes time to buying your dream house:
1. Always get pre-approved before you start house hunting.
2. Shop mortgage lenders so you get the best interest rate.
3. Don't buy more house than you can afford.
4. Don't forget the additional fees that come with buying a home. Down-payments, closing costs, inspections, appraisals, etc.
5. Make sure you calculate regular expenses of home ownership when figuring out your budget. Both monthly and annual expenses.
6. No matter how much you love the house, or how new it is, always get it inspected to avoid future headaches.
7. Make sure you check the zoning laws. Find out what is and isn't permitted around your home/neighborhood preference so you aren't caught off guard by unattractive builds.
8. I'll help you with this part, but it's important to get everything in the transaction process/negotiations in writing. Never take anyone's word during the sale of a home, even if you're friends with the other party!
9. If you have too many contingencies as a buyer, you may lose out on your dream house. So make sure your finances are set and you're ready to move when you start your house hunt.
10. Having a great real estate agent by your side will help you make sure you don't overpay for a property. But keep in mind, if you submit offers that are too low, you may lose out in a hot market to a more interested buyer.